Alright everyone. Long time no posting. Let’s remedy that.
I spend a shit ton of time listening to podcasts since my commute is about an hour every morning and every afternoon. If you’re doing the math, that is pretty much 10 hours of podcasts going into my face every work week. Some of that time is dedicated to listening to podcasts about writing — specifically screenwriting. So here they are in no particular order.
MY TOP FIVE PODCASTS FOR SCREENWRITERS AND TV WRITERS (IN NO PARTICULAR ORDER)
- WRITING EXCUSES – “Brandon Sanderson, Mary Roninette Kowal, Howard Tayler, and Daniel Wells discuss writing techniques in a fast-paced, 15-minute format.” Now although this podcast is specifically geared towards writing science fiction and fantasy novels, short stories, and comics, I can tell you from personal experience that pretty much everything they saw also applies to screenwriting. A story is a story is a story . . . plus the short podcast length is perfect for a quick trip around town on errands. Downside is the podcast seems to crash my iphone quite a bit. Not sure why.
- THE WRITER’S GUILD FOUNDATION PODCAST – “Founded in swinging, mondo-groovy 1966, The Writer’s Guild Foundation is the only organization in the world devoted solely to the promotion and preservation of writing for the screen. Our events and interviews capture screenwriters and television writers at their most intimate, and run the gamut from Oscar-winning dramatists to TV scribes writing to devoted fanbases.” This podcast provides some great interviews with screenwriters. The only problem is their episodes are few and far-inbetween.
- NERDIST WRITER’S PANEL – “The Nerdist Writer’s Panel series is an informal chat moderated by Ben Blacker (co-creator of the Thrilling Adventure Hour; writer for Supah Ninjas, Supernatural, among others) with professional writers about the process and business of writing. Covering TV, film, comic books, music novels, and any other kind of writing about which you’d care to hear. Proceeds from the live panels benefit 826LA, the national non-profit tutoring program.” This podcast puts out a shit ton of material and some great interviews with screenwriters and comic writers. The only downside is sometimes the audio quality is total garbage. Lots of live panels.
- SCRIPTNOTES PODCAST – “Screenwriters John August and Craig Mazin discuss screenwriting and related topics in the film and television industry, everything from getting stuff written to the vagaries of copyright and work-for-hire law.” A very helpful and entertaining podcast from two working screenwriters. Arguably one of the most popular scrXCing specific podcasts.
- THE CHILDREN OF TENDU PODCAST -“Javier Grillo-Marxuach (Emmy Award-winning writer/producer on “Lost” and creator of “The Middleman”) and Jose Molina (writer/producer on “Sleepy Hollow,” “Firefly,” “Castle” and “Law & Order: SVU”) share their hard-earned experiences, giving practical, straight-shooting advice on breaking into television and staying there!”
There you have it. My top 5 podcasts for screenwriters in no particular order. Go have fun.