I watch a shit ton of television… so I hope I don’t leave anything out. I found making this list VERY hard. Every show is good for a different reason. There was SO much good TV happening this year… I don’t even know where to start. HAHA! Who am I kidding — I know EXACTLY where to start.
1. Breaking Bad (AMC) – Our favorite meth cooking science teacher takes first place. If you haven’t heard of Breaking Bad, you probably haven’t been living on this planet for the past few years. I have been obsessed with this show from the pilot (although I didn’t even hear about it until season 3). I even wrote a little WATCH THIS NOW post back in 2010. This year we saw the show come to an end… and I loved every episode (except “The Fly”… don’t hate me for it.). This is one of the best written (and shot) shows I’ve ever seen. It will go down in history as one of the best TV shows ever made. If you haven’t watched… do it now. Like… stop reading this and go watch it. Now.
2. Game of Thrones (HBO) – I’m pretty obsessed with this series. I read the books. I watch the episodes the minute they’re done airing on the east coast. This year we got to see season 3… and I’m DYING to see season 4. I’m so obsessed. I sometimes sing the theme song for no reason at all. Just because. It’s awesome. If you’ve shied away from the GoT bandwagon… it’s time to jump on. Just do it. You know you want to. Do it. Doooooo ittttt.
3. House of Cards (NETFLIX) – This year Netflix hit us with the first season of their brand new political drama House of Cards. To be honest, I really wasn’t expecting something this good… and then I fucking binge watched the season in 2 days. It’s amazing. It’s so amazing. Season 2 will be released in its entirety on February 14, 2014. Not only is this one of the best shows to hit us in 2013 — it’s one of the best shows I’ve ever seen. Go get a Netflix account. Now.
4. The Americans (FX) – This show is fucking great. Antiheroes are so in right now… and what’s better than having your two main characters be KGB spies living in America during the cold war?! Yes… this show is just as awesome as it sounds. One minute you’re rooting for the main characters… the next minute they shoot an innocent person in the head and torture an FBI agent. It’s great. If you haven’t watched it… there is time to catch up before season 2 airs on February 26, 2014.
5. Downton Abbey (BBC) – How can a British period drama about an aristocratic family and their servants be so good? I have no idea. No, like… I literally have no idea why this show is so good. It just is. I started watching it on a whim, and now it’s one of my favorite shows. I can’t explain it. I’m fucking hooked. It’s like a really really really well produced soap opera. It’s so good. Please watch it. You’ll thank me.
6. The Borgias (SHO) – This was one of my favorite shows. I loved it! Sex, violence, and intrigue in the Vatican. But then they cancelled it and didn’t even make a final episode for “closure”. I’m pissed at them. I have to rate it this high… but I don’t know if I can seriously tell you to start watching it… You’ll get hooked and then be left unsatisfied. I don’t want that to happen to you like it happened to me.
7. Veep (HBO) – Funniest show on television. I haven’t watched an episode without laughing my ass off. It’s that good. Just… watch it.
8. Homeland (SHO) – I keep wanting this show to be good. But it’s starting to slip further and further down in my favorite show lists. I still really like it. But it’s not as addicting as it used to be.
9. Sons of Anarchy (FX) – I want to hate this show. It’s about a biker gang for fucks sake. But it’s so good — I just can’t stop watching. And they do some really fucked up shit in this show. In 2013 we saw season 6… and when I finished watching the season finale I felt sick inside. And I feel like I’m pretty immune to “shocking” finales… but damn. They got me. This show can get pretty fucked up. AND I LOVE IT.
10. The Fall (BBC) – Not many people have heard of this show. It’s a crime drama starring Gillian Anderson. There are only 5 episodes in the first season… but the show depicts one of the most realistic profiles of a serial killer I have ever seen. It’s disturbing how it makes you “feel” for the serial killer. I really enjoyed this show, and I think it deserves more recognition than it gets. Season 2 can’t come soon enough.
11. American Horror Story (FX) – I fucking love this show. I love it so much I’m kind of confused as to why I’m putting it all the way down here at number eleven. Like I said… there are a ton of good TV shows these days. We just got to see most of season 3 of American Horror Story… and I’m really liking it. Not every episode is great… but it’s a really fun ride. The scoring and editing are brilliant. It’s just damn good fun. And there is nothing bad about that.
12. Mad Men (AMC) – We saw season 6 of Mad Men this year. Yes… it’s a great show. Everyone knows it. I’m not as big a fan of Mad Men as everyone else in the world — but it’s extremely well written. Scarily well written. Almost “too” well written. Sometimes I just find the show really depressing. But I keep watching. It’s like a bad drug.
13. Justified (FX) – Again… I don’t know why I am putting Justified so low… I think it has some of the best writing in TV. This year we saw season 4. I don’t think the show is as good as it used to be… But it used to be fucking amazing. Season 2 was so good. I’m actually still catching up on the latest season…. but for now I’m putting this show at number thirteen.
14. Archer (FX) – Archer deserves to be higher up. It’s fucking brilliant. But it’s animated… and I just can’t bring myself to put it above other live action dramas. But I had to put it at least here… because it’s so fucking good. So. Fucking. Good.
15. The Bridge (FX) – The Bridge started off really strong. I got super into it. I feel it kinda lagged a bit towards the end. But it’s still a really strong show. Plus I’m absolutely in love with Diane Kruger. She’s amazing. So Amazing. Def will watch season 2.
16. Masters of Sex (HBO) – I just started watching this show a few weeks ago and I’m already done with the first (and only) season. I pretty much binge watched the whole thing in a week. It’s really good and definitely worth a watch… but I don’t find the show as interesting as the other shows above it.
17. Dexter (SHO) – Dexter used to be amazing. Every time a new season came on I was like… there is no way this season can be good. But it was. I enjoyed every single season. The end of this latest (and last) season started to get really strange… and then I heard the season finale was horrible. I actually never watched the very last episode… and I feel it’s too late to watch it. So I’ll probably never watch the last episode. But it still ranks as one of my favorite shows of all time. Somewhere.
18. Modern Family (ABC) – I literally just started watching this show yesterday. For the first time. And I find it hilarious. So I had to put it on here somewhere. It’s really good. But I’m in season 1… so I don’t really think it belongs here. But … here it is.
19. Vikings (History) – I also binge watched this show for the most part. I remember really liking it. So in all honesty it probably deserves to be higher in my list. I’m just really into this type of shit. I’m not sure how good of a show it really was. But I enjoyed it. Will def watch season 2.
20. The Killing (AMC) – I’ve had my ups and downs with this show. I loved it… then I hated it….then I loved it. I think when this last season ended I was still loving it. But it’s not the best thing on TV. Still … they had those episode cliffhangers down… and I was always left wanting more.
21. Orange is the New Black (NETFLIX) – Okay… this show is awesome. There is just something about it that made me not finish it. I WILL finish the first season. I just… can’t bring myself to do it right now. I think I have like … 3 episodes left. It’s good… stop yelling at me. I know it’s good.
22. Girls (HBO) – This show used to be awesome. It got weird. I still watch it.
23. Face Off (SYFY) – Good reality show. I really like it. But It’s reality… so there is no way it’s going above my other shows.
24. Enlightened (HBO) – I could never figure out if I loved or hated this show. But I watched all of it. Loving and hating at the same time. But now it’s cancelled. So fuck it.
25. The Walking Dead (AMC) – So this is the most popular show on TV. Why is it so far down on my list? I have no idea. I just don’t really like it. And I LOVE zombies. I just… I think I HATE every single character on this show. I want every single one of them to die. All of them. Kill them ALL and get a new cast.